Popular Casino Games
Casino games are the core of every gambling establishment. There is a wide diversity of their types to satisfy every gambler’s preferences, and a good online casino will include a rich gaming portfolio, constantly adding new releases.
Continue reading this guide to learn more about casino games.
Slot machines are the most popular casino games by far. All you do is spin the reels, and if enough matching symbols land in the right place, you’ll win a payout. Some online slot games are simple, while others have lots of unique features, such as free spins, bonus rounds, special symbols, etc.
The most demanded types of slots in Canadian casinos are those that offer progressive jackpots. Progressive jackpots are slots whose top prize grows every time someone places a bet. The cash prize grows until it’s won and can get very high. Over the years, some players have become millionaires thanks to these slots, though the chances of winning are very slim. The biggest one is Mega Moolah by Microgaming, with the largest payout to date of $21,7 million.
What also makes slots appealing except payouts is their design. These games come in a wide range of themes, such as gold and luxury, space, fantasy, Ireland, and grand civilizations of the past, and many of them are presented with realistic 3D graphics. There are even some branded games themed to popular movies and TV shows.
One of the most popular card games at online casinos is blackjack. This is a game that involves some careful thinking and decision-making. Your objective is simple: have a hand that’s closer in value to 21 than the dealer’s hand. As you play, the decisions you make can help you win, though they may also put your hand over 21 – if your hand goes above 21 at any time, you’re out.
All the best Canadian casinos have at least a few blackjack games available to play. Many sites offer both animated and live versions of the game.
This classic table game is entirely based on luck and involves a large wheel being spun and players betting on which of the numbered pockets the ball lands. With real-life games, actual gaming equipment is used, though, for online games, it’s all animated, and a random number generator determines which is the winning number for each round.
There are two main versions of roulette: European and American. The European version has a wheel with 37 numbered pockets (1-36 and 0), while the American version adds the 00 (double zero) pocket, giving it a total of 38 pockets. Roulette games can be found at pretty much all the best casinos Canada has to offer.
Poker is a family of games that involve careful thinking and strategy. The ultimate aim of poker games is to form the highest-ranking hand possible. Some of the many different versions of this game you’ll find at Canadian online casinos include Texas Hold’em, Caribbean Stud Poker, Oasis Poker, and Pai Gow Poker, to name a few.
Many top casinos offer poker games. Some even have specialized poker software that lets you take on other players and compete in tournaments, some of which can have very large prize pools. With poker, every decision counts. It’s a good idea to try games out for free to get used to how poker works before playing with real money.
Live Dealer Games
Live dealer games are real-life games that online casino players can take part in. The games are broadcast in real-time over the internet from a specially purposed TV studio or even a land-based casino. These games take the gaming experience up a notch because they’re a lot more immersive and interactive than standard animated games.
While playing live dealer games, you’re able to communicate with both the dealer and the other players through a text-based messaging interface. The games are lots of fun and help bridge the gap between playing at home alone and playing in a proper venue with other people.
Baccarat is a card comparing game where you bet on one of three outcomes: the player’s hand wins, the dealer’s hand wins, or it’s a tie. Whichever hand gets the closest to 9 in value wins the game, with cards 1-9 worth their face value, 10s, and royals worth nothing, and the ace worth 1. There’s nothing you can do to affect the outcome of the game, as both the player’s and the dealer’s hands are dealt with according to set rules. In some variants of the game, however, the hands aren’t bound by these rules.
Craps is different from other online casino games in that it uses dice, not cards. When playing this game, you bet on the outcome of a single roll of the dice, or, in many cases, a series of rolls. There are quite a few different bets you can place. Some of them payout after the first roll of a round, while others require several more rolls before they win.
Craps isn’t as widely available as other games. Still, there are plenty of online casinos that have the game listed, including some of the biggest, most popular ones.
Online bingo recreates the fast-paced excitement and entertainment of real-life bingo. You receive a card with numbers on it, and numbered balls are drawn. If one of the balls matches a number on your card, it’s marked off.
In solo bingo games, you win by marking off all numbers in rows on your card, or by marking off all numbers on your card. Multiplayer games have you race against other players to see who’s the first to mark off rows, with the top prize going to whoever marks off all their numbers first.
The Process for Reviewing Casinos
To help you find the best online Canadian casino, we take into account many criteria when reviewing sites and deciding which ones to recommend. As well as the obvious things like bonuses and games, we look at various other things that are just as important. We do this because it helps us get a better idea of what a casino is like and what it has to offer. Below are some of the main criteria that help us determine whether a casino is worth signing up or not.
- Security: If it’s a trusted online casino Canada you’re after, stick with one of our recommended sites. All of the casinos we recommend are safe and reliable. Each one is licensed and has a great reputation for promoting secure and responsible online gambling. We wouldn’t point you in the direction of any site we feel is unsafe.
- Support: We also take a look at customer support and see what options there are for getting in touch. These can include phone, email, and live chat. Most of the top online casinos Canada have at least a few ways you can contact the team and get your questions answered. Ideally, customer support should be available 24/7.
- Fast Payouts: It’s common practice for players to have to wait several working days or longer to receive their winnings. Many casinos are shortening the wait time, and at some sites, you can even receive your money the same day you make the withdrawal. If you’re after the best online casino in Canada, you should choose one that offers fast payouts.
- Banking Options: Ideally, a casino should accept a good number and range of payment methods. This allows as many players as possible to easily make deposits into and withdrawals from their casino account. Also, there shouldn’t be any charges for making transactions. Most casinos, thankfully, don’t have any extra fees.
- Mobile Compatibility: Most online casinos have a mobile-friendly site that can be accessed in instant play through your device’s web browser. A lot of them also have an app that you can download. Mobile sites and apps let you play casino games while you’re out of the house. There are thousands of games that can be played on touchscreen devices.
How Online Casino Bonuses Work
The next attraction in casinos online is bonuses and promotions that are offered. We strongly recommend reading the terms and conditions attached to them before accepting any incentive. Bonuses can be very lucrative to Canadian players, but with wagering requirements that are impossible to fulfill.
Here are some of the most popular bonus types found in most gambling establishments.
Pretty much all Canadian casino sites have a welcome bonus on offer. This is a special bonus that’s only available to new players. It rewards you with either free spins or bonus money, or even both. To qualify, you have to create an account and make your first real money deposit. If it’s a 100% match bonus, you’ll receive 100% of the amount you deposit as free bonus money.
This is a type of bonus that lets you play slots without having to pay. You receive a set number of spins and can use them on a single slot, a select group of slots or all the slots the casino has to offer. Many of the top online casinos in Canada have free spins promotions.
No Deposit Bonus
The no deposit bonus is so-called because you don’t need to make a deposit to claim it. Simply opt-in the promotion, and you’ll receive some bonus money or free spins. Some online Canadian casinos even have no deposit bonuses for new players. These let you claim and spend a bonus before you’ve even made your first deposit.
Cashback is a type of bonus where you spend money on casino games and get paid a small percentage of your losses. This isn’t as popular as bonus money or free spins, but it can still be a worthwhile bonus to take advantage of.
Many top Canadian casinos like to reward players’ loyalty. They do this by offering bigger and better bonuses to those who stay loyal to the casino and keep playing. A lot of casinos have a loyalty scheme with several levels. The more you play, the higher your level is, and the better your bonuses become.
Online Casinos That Are Compatible with Mobiles
These days, mobile gambling is huge. People love being able to play their favorite casino games while they’re out and about. They can access thousands of games through their handheld device and can play wherever and whenever they like.
Practically all the best Canadian gambling sites are compatible with various mobile devices, including the most recent smartphone and tablet models. There are two ways to access an online casino on your handheld device: visiting the mobile site through your web browser or downloading the app.
While just about every top Canadian online casino has a mobile site, only some of them have apps to download. Mobile sites are great because they don’t take up space on your phone or tablet, whereas apps do take up space, though they can offer a higher standard of performance.
Many casino games can be played on mobiles since they’ve had touchscreen-friendly versions made. Some older games, however, can’t be played on handhelds just yet. The typical mobile site doesn’t offer as many games as the parent desktop site, but there should still be more than enough games to keep mobile players entertained.
How to Get Your Account Set Up
If you decide to join one of the top Canadian online casinos, we will help you with it! You can look forward to playing lots of exciting and entertaining games, and if you’re lucky enough, you may even win. Thankfully, most casinos make it very easy for new players to create accounts and start playing.
- Fill out the registration form. To get your account set up, you have to fill out a registration form. You’ll be asked to provide the casino with some basic personal details, as well as some contact information. You’ll also have to come up with a username and password for your account.
- Verify your account. Completing a casino registration form takes just a few minutes if that. Once you’ve filled it out, your account should be created. The casino will then send you a confirmation email. This should include a link that you’ll have to click on to verify your account. After doing this, you’ll be able to start playing casino games.
- Contact the customer support team if you have any questions. If you have any questions about the registration process, don’t hesitate to contact the casino’s customer support team or check out the FAQ section. Your account will work across all devices; you don’t need to create a new one for playing on mobiles.
The Easiest Payment Methods for New Players
In order to play casino games with real money, you’ll need to deposit some money into your casino account. The best Canadian gambling sites accept plenty of different payment methods so that players have lots of options to choose from. Most have around half a dozen or so options available. These can include bank cards, e-wallets, prepaid cards, cryptocurrencies, and more.
- Deposits. Most of the time, when you make a deposit, the money gets added to your casino account straight away. So, you can pick a payment method, make a deposit, and start playing casino games with real money without having to wait.
- Withdrawals. These require some time. It’s usually the case that when you make a withdrawal request, you have to wait for the casino to process the request. This can take anything from a few hours or less to several working days. Once it’s happened, your money will then be on its way to you. The amount of time it takes to reach you depends on the payment method you’re using. If you’re using an e-wallet, for example, you should get your money on the day the request is processed; for bank cards, you may have to wait a few extra days.
Credit Cards, Debit Cards, and Prepaid Cards
Bank cards can be used at just about every licensed online casino. It’s very rare for a casino not to accept Visa or Mastercard. The fact that debit and credit cards are usable at so many sites is a big plus for many players.
As for prepaid cards, such as Paysafecard, these are cards that come pre-loaded with funds. Each one has its own code that you enter to transfer the money into your online casino account. Prepaid cards can only be used for deposits, though they’re still popular because of the security they offer.
Nearly all the best online casinos in Canada accept e-wallets. Some of the most popular ones include PayPal, Neteller, and Skrill. E-wallets are convenient because they offer some of the fastest withdrawal times. So, if you want to get your hands on your winnings sooner rather than later, you should use an e-wallet.
This type of payment method is so-called because it’s essentially an electronic version of a wallet. You use an e-wallet to store funds and can both make and receive payments with it.
Another banking method available to Canadians is the bank transfer, also known as a wire transfer. This is a very secure way of transferring funds to and from your casino account. However, there is a downside to this, and that is the wait times, which can be quite long. Most of the time, bank transfer deposits should reach your casino account on the same day. Though for withdrawals, you may have to wait a week or longer, depending on the casino you’re at and the type of bank transfer you’re using.
Gambling Sites That Are Safe and Secure
Some people are naturally concerned about spending real money at online casinos. They’re hesitant to deposit money because they can’t be sure the site can be trusted with their money.
Fortunately, online casinos are very safe, indeed. The industry is heavily regulated around the world, and the vast majority of gambling sites are perfectly safe to sign up to and deposit money at.
The easiest way to see if a casino can be trusted is by checking it has a license. If there’s evidence of a license (usually found at the bottom of each webpage), this is a sure sign that the casino is legitimate and reliable. If you can’t find a license anywhere, it’s advised that you sign up for a different casino instead. You may also want to see if the casino is approved by eCOGRA. This means its games have been certified and operate in a fairway.
The good news is that nearly all online casinos are reputable. All the ones we recommend are safe and secure. We only recommend sites that we ourselves would sign up to, so you can rest assured that all the ones we list on our best casino Canada site aren’t dodgy in any way. So long as you stick to safe sites, you shouldn’t have any major problems when gambling online.
Canada’s Online Gambling Laws
In Canada, it’s fully legal for players to gamble at online casinos. If you sign up to a casino and gamble with real money, you won’t be breaking any of the country’s laws.
What’s illegal, however, is when a company operates an online casino within Canada’s borders. For a casino to operate legally, it has to be based in another country. There is, however, an exception—casinos that are based in the Kahnawake Mohawk Territory, a First Nations reserve south of Quebec. If an online casino is based here, it’s permitted to accept Canadians and won’t be breaking any laws in doing so.
Every top casino Canada has to offer is based outside of the country and is therefore legally allowed to operate. Before signing up to a site, double-check to see where it’s based and do a quick online search to find out more about the company behind it. Most of the time, you should find that Canadian casinos obey the law. If you happen to come across a casino that’s based in Canada (but not in Kahnawake), the site’s best avoided.
Dealing with Gambling Problems in Canada
Online gambling is a lot of fun, especially if you happen to win. It can, however, become addictive. Some people end up spending too much time and money on casino games, and they get into problems such as debts.
Here are some tips to follow:
- Be sensible. Whenever you gamble online with real money, you should always be sensible about it.
- Put limits. Put a limit on how much time you can play for and come up with a budget that you can stick to.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. If you find yourself developing any sort of gambling problem, ask for help.
- Learn about responsible gambling. Casinos typically have a page on responsible gambling where you can find information and resources to do with problem gambling.
- Be stronger than addiction. Links to charities are provided, and there are tools you can use to help limit your gambling activity. These include blocking yourself from the site and reducing your spending habits. You may also find questionnaires you can answer to see if you’re getting addicted to gambling.
Every site on our best online casino for Canadian players list offers plenty of help and support for those who think gambling’s becoming a problem for them. However serious the problem is, there’s always someone ready to get things sorted for you.
What is the best online casino?
The best Canadian online casino is simply the establishment that’s best suited for you. There are loads of gambling sites, and there’s no single one that’s regarded by everyone as the best. Every player has different tastes and will prefer different sites. Having said that, there are quite a few casinos in particular that many players rate highly.
Is it legal to gamble online in Canada?
It’s entirely legal for players to access online casinos and play at them. According to Canadian law, it’s illegal for a company to operate an online casino from within the country’s borders. However, the Kahnawake native reserve is an exception, and casinos can be hosted from there.
Are online casinos in Canada safe?
The vast majority of online casinos you can access in Canada are perfectly safe. The best way you can tell you’re at a safe gambling site is by checking if it has a license. If a license is displayed, the casino can be trusted. If there’s no evidence of a license, you should play at a different site instead.
Can I play for real money at an online casino?
Yes, once you’ve created an account at an online casino, you can start playing for real money. Deposit money into your account and choose games to play. Remember to stick to a budget and watch your spending, as gambling can easily become addictive.
Can I play casino games on my mobile phone?
A large percentage of casino games you can play on your computer can be played on smartphones and tablets. Most gambling sites, including some of the best Canadian casinos online, have a mobile site that’s touchscreen-friendly; some even offer an app you can download.
Do any online casinos accept PayPal?
You should find that PayPal is accepted at many of the top online gambling sites Canada has to offer. This payment method is particularly popular with customers because it’s very safe and secure, plus it offers very fast withdrawal times, so you can get your winnings quickly.
How do I make a withdrawal from a casino?
To make a withdrawal from an online casino, simply select an available payment method and input the amount you wish to cash out, then confirm. A lot of the time, you can only withdraw using the payment method you’ve been using to make deposits with. Wait times for withdrawals vary depending on the payment method used.