Our Blackjack Casino Selection Criteria
Our team is dedicated to helping you have a satisfying blackjack online experience by considering a variety of criteria. Here’s how we review and assess online blackjack casinos to enhance your gameplay.
- Blackjack online casino licensing: Online casinos should be completely legal, with the right licenses to prove it. We check that online casinos are licensed with agencies like the Kahnawake Gaming Commission and Malta Gaming Authority. The casino sites should also have fairness certificates from independent auditors like eCOGRA.
- Casino bonuses in stock: We prioritize the casinos that provide multiple bonuses with fair terms.
- Blackjack games variety: Our preferred blackjack online casinos have a variety of quality games, and we test these blackjack games ourselves.
- Mobile friendliness: We check that gamers can easily play their casino games on mobile devices. To ensure this, we test the website with browsers of different operating systems and evaluate native applications separately.
- Banking methods and payout speed: We examine the banking methods and payout speed to ensure a smooth experience for players when it comes to collecting their winnings.
- Responsive support: Gamers should have 24/7 online support. We test this out ourselves.
Real Money Blackjack Sites in Canada
Here’s a rundown of sites with the best online blackjack Canada players can enjoy, detailing what makes them stand out, along with their pros and cons. We ensure that our assessments are fair to help you make an informed choice.
The 888 casino has been in operation since 1997. Apart from being one of the oldest online blackjack casinos in Canada, it is also one of the most trustworthy brands. It has a variety of quality games that are rare on other Canadian online blackjack sites. Our 888 Casino review will highlight what makes this casino an excellent choice for Canadian blackjack enthusiasts.
Vulkan Vegas Casino
This casino was launched in 2016. It is a well-respected platform that offers a wide selection of table games, including blackjack. Vulkan Vegas offers one of the best online blackjack in Canada and also has various deposit and withdrawal methods suitable for gamers. For more details about the casino, check out our Vulkan Vegas casino review.
Launched in 2013, this casino is relatively new but makes big waves in the gambling industry. Ice Casino partnered with several top software developers, which means this site boasts a comprehensive collection of games. Now, for a closer look at what this casino has to offer, you can check out our Ice Casino review.
888 casino has a high RTP rate, which ranges between 99.4% to 99.6%. This means the chances of winning are high compared to the other casinos. Vulkan Vegas casino, on the other hand, has one of the best welcome bonus offers, including free spins. At the same time, Ice Casino, even though it is new compared to the others, has the broadest range of games due to its collaboration with several software developers.
What is Blackjack?
Blackjack, or 21, is a highly recognized card game in casinos worldwide. It is popular because it is easy to play. In this game, you have to beat the dealer with a hand close to and not exceeding 21. Each card in the deck has a point value. Kings, Queens and Jacks are worth 10 points, while Aces are worth 1 or 11 points depending on what benefits the player’s hand. The game begins with each player and the dealer receiving two cards from a deck. Players can “hit” and accept more cards to improve their hands or “stand” to keep their current total points. If a player’s hand surpasses 21 points, they “bust” and lose the round. The best possible hand, ‘blackjack,’ consists of an Ace and any 10-point cards.
A Step-by-Step Guide on How to Play Blackjack
Blackjack comes in various iterations online, such as classic blackjack, live dealer blackjack, and multi-hand blackjack, each offering unique features and experiences for players. To get started, follow the steps below:
- Choose a reputable casino: Select one of the trusted online casinos from a list of reputable options.
- Review bonuses: Familiarize yourself with any available bonuses or promotions that the casino offers, such as welcome bonuses or free spins.
- Register: Create an account on the chosen casino platform by providing your personal information and verifying your identity.
- Start playing: After registration, make a deposit into your casino account, navigate to the blackjack games section, and start playing.
A Deep Dive Into How Online Blackjack Odds Work
A standard blackjack payout is 3:2, but blackjack variations may use different payouts, affecting your potential returns and overall strategy. The chances of winning on blackjack games can go as high as 42.22%; however, this does not mean the remaining 57.78% goes to the house. There is a chance that the round will end in a tie between the player and the dealer (a push). The probability of a blackjack games ending in a push is 8.48%. This means that the likelihood of a player losing a round is about 49.10%.
When playing online blackjack for money, a player’s odds of winning the game are not constant. Some factors can influence it such as house rules, the number of decks and game variants, and individual decisions like hitting or standing. Strategies like card counting can sway the odds, but Canadian online casinos often counteract this with frequent shuffling.
Online Blackjack Common Variations
As we mentioned above, you can choose from many different variants when you want to play blackjack games. While the basic rules are the same, these options may include different payouts and some additional rules and bet types. To help you choose, we’ve listed the main versions you can find at the best online blackjack sites in Canada.
According to many Canadian players, classic blackjack is the best online blackjack variant. Classic rules are used, there are no additional bets, and it is played with either one or two decks. It is a good option for beginners.
Invented by Geoff Hall in 2009, the blackjack switch involves two hands dealt at the same time, and the player is allowed to trade the top two cards between the hands.
Multi-Hand Blackjack Gold
Developed by Microgaming as part of a series, Multi-Hand Blackjack Gold uses the classic blackjack rules, but playing with five hands simultaneously is possible. It is played with five decks and has an RTP of 99.42%.
Also known as “pontoon”. It is a variant that appeared in 1995 and is played with special 48-card decks. If both the dealer and the player have 21 points, the “push” does not occur; the player wins the game.
In this variant, players are only allowed to split once, and the only cards that can be split are 10s, Jacks, Queens, and Kings. Also, the dealer takes his second card after the player decides.
American Blackjack Games
In the American variant, it is possible to create four different hands by splitting three times. Also, unlike the European variant, the dealer can look at the hole card before the player declares his decision.
Atlantic City Blackjack
It is a variant that has been played in New Jersey casinos since the 1970s. It’s the same as American blackjack, but the split rules are stricter, and late surrender is allowed.
This variant has a side bet called “Perfect Pairs.” If the player’s first two cards are a pair of the same suit (e.g., red 2s), the side bet is won, and an additional payout is made. Other than that, it is no different from classic blackjack.
Live Online Blackjack
Most of the variants listed above can be played against a real dealer on the best online blackjack casinos that offer this option. The rules do not differ; but instead of playing against a computer, you will play against a real person.
Blackjack House Edge and RTP
Blackjack is the casino game with the highest RTP and lowest house edge. RTP (return to player) is a value that shows how much of your investment you can recover in a casino game. The house edge represents how much the casino collects from each of your bets. For example, if a game has an RTP of 95%:
- You can recover 95 CAD for every 100 CAD you deposit.
- The casino will earn 5 CAD from every 100 CAD you deposit.
In this context, blackjack’s RTP values start at 99% and vary depending on the variant being played. To give some examples:
Usually, you can see the RTP of a blackjack variant on the paytable screen. We recommend choosing the variants with the highest RTP rate.
How To Decrease the Blackjack House Edge
As can be guessed from the section above, the lower the house edge, the better. Here are some tips that can help you lower this value further:
- Number of decks: Opt for casino games with fewer decks, as single-deck blackjack typically yields a lower house edge due to improved card probabilities.
- The payback: Stick to the standard 3:2 payout for a blackjack hand, which keeps the house edge at 0.5%. Avoid games with larger but disadvantageous payouts like 6:5.
- Soft 17 rule: Choose tables where the dealer stands on soft 17. This minor adjustment can reduce the house edge by approximately 0.2%.
- Late surrender: Prefer games that allow late surrender. While the effect on the house edge may be modest, it can still enhance your overall advantage over time.
How To Elevate Your Blackjack Skills
Stepping up your game in blackjack requires a blend of knowledge, strategy, and smart decision-making. Whether you’re a beginner to online casino games or looking to refine your skills in blackjack, the following tips will guide you:
- Learn blackjack rules: Blackjack has a set of simple and easy-to-follow rules; learn all the rules.
- Practice for free first: Take advantage of “demo games” and use the no deposit bonus. They are free and can help you learn the game or a specific strategy without any risk.
- Build your betting strategy: Make sure to develop your own blackjack betting strategies based on your style.
- Don’t use the blackjack insurance: If the dealer’s card is an Ace, you can take an insurance bet to recover some of your initial wagers. However, this bet increases the house’s edge and is never a good idea.
- Choose the right blackjack game: You should choose the ones that best suit your experience level and play style among all Canadian blackjack variants.
- Doubling down rule: If doubling down is allowed after splitting, the house edge will likely decrease by 0.13%. However, if allowed only for 10 and 11, the house edge will likely increase by 0.21%. Liberal doubling-down rules will always be a good idea.
Best Blackjack Hands to Start
Your first two cards can be anything, but some specific hands give you an advantage and starting with such hands can let you win at blackjack even before the game begins. The best-starting hands a player can get in blackjack are listed below.
Any two cards that are worth 21 points (i.e., Ace + a 10-valued card: 10, Jack, Queen, or King) will win the game. This is the best possible scenario for the player unless the dealer has 21, too. In some variants, this results in a push, which means the game is void.
If the two cards you get are worth 20 points and do not include an Ace (i.e., 10 + Jack), this is the second-best possible hand you can get. Do not hit, just stand: most likely, you will win the game as you are lacking only one point.
This time, one of your first two cards is an Ace, which can be valued as 11 (that’s why it is called “soft”), and the other one is worth 8 or 9 points, i.e., Ace + 8. Once again, you are very close to 21 points, so the best move you can make is to stand.
Online Blackjack Games for Money vs. Free Play
You can play online blackjack for real money or for free. While the main rules of the game and winning chances do not differ, both options offer different experiences, which means they have advantages and disadvantages. The table below will give you an idea of what to expect from both.
All About Blackjack Online Casino Bonuses
When you play online blackjack for money, you can enjoy many bonuses. Learning how to use these bonuses and promotions is just as important as learning how to play blackjack. This is because the right bonus will give you a free bankroll or refund some of your losses. Below, we mention the most common blackjack bonuses.
- No deposit bonus: A no deposit bonus is a promotional offer by casinos that grants players a small amount of free money or free spins without requiring an initial deposit.
- Welcome bonus: A welcome bonus, also known as a sign-up bonus, is a reward given to new players upon registration or their first deposit. It often includes a combination of bonus money and free spins.
- Match bonus: A match bonus is a promotion where the casino matches a percentage of a player’s deposit, effectively doubling their initial bankroll. For example, a 100% match bonus on a $100 deposit would give the player an additional $100 in bonus funds.
Top Blackjack Apps for Mobile Gaming in Canada
Many people in Canada prefer to use mobile casinos for online gaming. Here are some of the best mobile casinos with blackjack games.
- Spin Casino
- Jackpot City Casino
- 888 Casino
- Betway Casino
- North Casino
- Casumo Casino
- Lucky Spins
History of Blackjack
Blackjack has a rich but mysterious origin. Here’s what we know about its uncertain history:
- Most historians think Spanish sailors invented it in the 15th century. It is possible to see this game mentioned in the books written in the 1600s: Did you know that Miguel de Cervantes was a famous blackjack player?
- We know that the game became widespread in England in the 18th century and in France in the 19th century and that it entered the United States in the early 1800s.
Common Abbreviations Seen on Blackjack Casino Sites
Blackjack can be daunting for newcomers, especially when confronted with many abbreviations. To shed light on these abbreviations, here’s a handy guide to some of the most common abbreviations you’ll encounter when playing in blackjack casinos in Canada.
Glossary of Blackjack Terms
It is important to understand slang to enjoy playing in casinos with blackjack. Here is a list of the most common terms and their meanings:
When choosing blackjack casinos, pick websites that follow the rules set by the Responsible Gambling Council. These online casinos offer self-exclusion tools that allow you to constrain your gaming time and budget. This way, you can prevent blackjack from becoming an addiction and limit your losses. Like any other casino game, real money blackjack should be played just for fun.
Is it possible to play online blackjack in Canada for free?
Yes, you can play blackjack games for free in the demo mode. To win real money, you will need to deposit real money.
Can I make money from playing blackjack games?
Yes, you can. You can find single-deck blackjack variants paying 3:2 to increase your chance of winning lots of real money.
How can I win real money blackjack?
To win blackjack games, make sure you get a hand that is closest to 21. Our blackjack tips above can help you increase your chances of winning when you master them.
Is the online blackjack in Canada rigged?
Blackjack games on recommended sites are not rigged. These casino games are legal, secure, and fair. Random Number Generators also ensure fair results.
How does online casino blackjack work?
In blackjack games, dealers give out cards to players, and then the players make a “hit” or “stand decision.” Whatever decision is made, the value of your hand must not exceed 21. You win if you are closer to 21 than the dealer.
Is online blackjack illegal in Canada?
No, it is not illegal. Gambling dates as far back as 1892 in this country. However it is crucial to play blackjack games online in Canada on licensed and reputable sites to ensure your safety.
Am I allowed to count cards when I play blackjack online in Canada?
Yes, you can. Although it is difficult to count cards, many players still take the risk. Keep in mind that casino sites often use frequent shuffling as a protection against this.